The Greater Columbia Association of REALTORS was founded, on April 15, 1913, with 35 initial members. Originally known as the Columbia Real Estate Exchange, it was accepted as an NAR member board by NAR's Board of Directors at its meeting in Winnipeg on July 28, 1913.
At the same Winnipeg conference, Columbia was one of several association locations that offered to host the 1914 NAR annual meeting, along with New York City, St. Louis, Billings, Pittsburgh, Seattle, Tampa, Buffalo, and Cincinnati.
In 1936 the board applied for NAR membership, changing the name to the Columbia Real Estate Board. Its membership application was approved by the Board of Directors on Nov. 16, 1936.
The board changed its name to the Columbia Board of REALTORS® in 1964, and to the Greater Columbia Board of REALTORS® in 1990. The dba of Central Carolina REALTORS® Association was approved in 2008.